Altered state of consciousness
The phrase "altered state of consciousness" was coined in the 1970sand describes induced changes in one's mental state, almost always temporary. A synonymous phrase is "altered states of awareness".
An altered state of consciousnesscan come about accidentally through fever, sleep deprivation, starvation, oxygendeprivation, nitrogen narcosis(deep diving), or a traumaticaccident. Intentionally it can sometimes be reached by the use of a sensory deprivationtank or mind-control techniques, hypnosis, meditation, prayer, or disciplines (e.g. MantraMeditation, Yoga, Sufismor Surat Shabda Yoga). It is sometimes attained through the ingestion of psychoactive drugssuch as alcoholand opiates, or hallucinogenicplants and chemicals such as LSD, 2C-I, peyote, marijuana, mescaline, psilocybin mushrooms, and datura(Jimson weed).
Naturally occurring altered states of consciousness include channeling, dreams, premonitions, euphoria, ecstasy, out of body experiences, and "being in the zone".
- 1 See also
- 2 References
- 3 Further reading
- 4 External links
- Aldous Huxley
- Carlos Castaneda
- Charles Tart
- Claudio Naranjo
- John C. Lilly
- Timothy Leary
- Psychology of religion
- Stanislav Grof
- John Curtis Gowan
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi-his book "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" regarding 'being in the zone'.
- James, WilliamThe varieties of religious experience (1902) ISBN 0-14-039034-0
- Wier, Dennis R.Trance: from magic to technology (1995) ISBN 1-888428-38-4
- Wikibook on consciousness
- John C. Lilly
- Divine Way of Spiritual HeartKnowledge about consciousness developing. Methodology of spiritual self-perfection.
- EkstasisJourneys in trance, meditation, mysteries and altered states of consciousness
- Mantra Meditation
- Trance Research Foundation - Trance Institutenl:Trance (bewustzijn)
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered+state+of+consciousness Wikipedia article Altered state of consciousness.