From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Government Medical College
brief history Govt. medical college, Amritsar started as a medical school in Lahore ( now in Pakistan) in 19864, 56 yrs later in 1920 it was relocated in amritsar. Until 1918 it offered diploma qualification designated as MPL . Towars the end of first world war in 1918, Punjab State Medical Faculty was constituited and medical school was affiliated to state medical faculty . It started to award LSMF diploma ( licentiate of state medical Faculty). In 1938, the LSMF was replaced by a new diploma ie LMS (licentiate in medicine and surgery). During the 2nd world war in 1943, the punjab govt. upgraded the school to a college status . NEW enterants from 1st October 1943, studied towards a degree course (MBBS). The formal opening of the college was performed on 1st feb 1944 by the then Premier of punjab Hon`ble Lt. Colonel Malik Khizer hayat Khan tiwana. The medical College was Galancy medical college, amritsar after the name of his excellency the governor of punjab. Then came 1947 the yr of independence and partition of India into India and Pakistan . The punajab was divided into East punjab (India) and west punjab (Pakistan ). Alas many of the first batch students admitted in galancy medical college could not complete their full course in the college . At that time this was the only medical college in east pujab and in this region ( at present there r more then a dozen ). Immediately after the partition in 1947, Medical college, amritsar and it's affiliated hospitals were the only centre of excellence encompassing a vast area which included Punjab , patiala & east punjab states union (PEPSU) adjoining states of Himachal Pradesh , jammu Kashmir, rajasthan, uttar pradesh, etc . Amritsar is governed by Director Research and Medical Education, Punjab and is affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot.
History Government Medical College, located in Amritsar, is the oldest medical college in the state of Punjab, in India. It was founded in 1926 by British Indian government. Before Independence, it was called Glancy Medical College.
Location and Campus The college is located on the Circular Road & Majitha Road in the holy city of Amritsar and provides training to 150 undergraduate medical students every year. Besides it also trains post-graduate students in many specialities. There are six different hospitals attached to it namely Guru Nanak Dev Hospital, Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Ram Saran Das Prakash Wati Kakkar Children Ward, Karam Singh Ward, Ram Lal Eye and ENT Hospital, TB & Chest Diseases Hospital and Vidya Sagar Mental Hospital.
This article is based on an article from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.
In the Wikipedia there is a list with all authors of this article available.