From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Estadual de Campinas (in Portuguese, Faculty of Medical Sciences) is a professional college of the State University of Campinas, located in the campus of Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil. It offers courses at undergraduate level in medicine, nursing, pharmacy and speech therapy, as well as many courses at graduate and postgraduate level (specialization, masters and doctorate, and medical residency). Affiliated clinical centers are the Clinics Hospital, the Hospital of Sumaré, the Center for Women Integral Health Care (CAISM), the Gastroenterology Center, the Pediatrics Center, the Haemocenter of Campinas, and several others. It has also a nucleus of experimental medical research.The School is considered one of the foremost Brazilian excellence centers in teaching, research and health care services. An annual peer evaluation gives to it the 5th place among the best medical courses of Brazil and 6th among the best nursing courses [http://www.vestibular1.com.br/ranking/biologicas.htm]. In an evaluation of sixth-year students of the State's medical schools conducted by the São Paulo State Board of Medicine in 2005, the School's students placed third overall, behind those of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo and the Federal University of São Paulo School of Medicine [http://www.cremesp.org.br/?siteAcao=Noticias&id=1047].
History The school was created as the Faculdade de Medicina de Campinas on November 25, 1958, by Decree No. 4996 of the state government, but it only began its operations with the first year of the medical course on December 28, 1962, by virtue of Decree No. 7655, when the State University of Campinas was created and the medical school was incorporated to it. Its first location was in a private hospital in the central area of the city, the Maternidade de Campinas, and clinical teaching was carried out in another philanthropic hospital, the Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Campinas. A new Clinics Hospital was built in the central university campus, in the Barão Geraldo subdistrict, and when it was completed, in 1986, the entire school was moved to there. Three new undergraduate professional courses were created in the subsequent years, nursing, speech therapy and pharmacy.
Figures As of January 2005, the Medical School occupies 14 buildings in a total area of more than 40,000 m². It has a teaching faculty of 358 and more that 4,000 students, distributed as follows: 1030 in its four undergraduate courses, 991 in postgraduate school (991 masters and 482 doctorate) and more than 1,500 in 63 different specialization courses.Clinical teaching is carried out in the cluster of health care institutions around the medical school, in seven buildings with a total area of 65,000 m², 403 beds, emergency unit, a surgical center with 16 rooms. The hospital serves ca. 115,000 outpatients, 15,000 surgeries, 150,000 consultations and 1.8 million of lab tests per year, in 44 medical specialties. The hospital has ca. 3,000 workers.
Notable faculty and students
Address Faculdade de Ciências Médicas - UNICAMP
Rua Tessalia Vieira de Camargo , 126
Cidade Universitária "Zeferino Vaz"
CEP 13083-970 Campinas - S.P.
Phone +55.19.3788-8926 / +55.19.3788-8927 Fax +55.19.3788-8925
This article is based on an article from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.
In the Wikipedia there is a list with all authors of this article available.