From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Faculty Mission To develop an outstanding, honorable, clinician/practitioner, researcher, and teacher capable of offering adequate medical care and following medical ethics.
To advance the knowledge base of medicine by developing and encouraging scientific research.
To disseminate knowledge through continuing education of our students, graduates, faculty, and colleagues.
To promote outstanding programs of medical care to serve society and to promote environmental development.
To maintain the environment of co-operation, peer relation, and mutual respect in the university society.
To encourage and to foster individual creativity in the university society.
Historical Background The school of medicine was inaugurated in 1827 as a 6-year study program in assembly of the Paris Medical School. The French doctor, Clot Bey, served as the president of the school. By 1837, the number of graduates had reached 430 doctors. Until 1848, the faculty of medicine had graduated 800 doctors. When Abbas Pasha came to rule Egypt, he tried to demolish all that was French following the British councillor's advice. As a result, Clot Bey resigned in 1849 and was succeeded by Dr. Duvigneau, then Peron Bey and then Shafi Bey, who was the first Egyptian president of the school. When Khedive Ismail came to rule, the school again progressed rapidly by appointing its second Egyptian director Mohamed Ali El-Bakli Pasha. In 1925, the school of medicine was incorporated into the Egyptian university and was named the "Faculty of Medicine". The faculty was ready for graduating doctors with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in medicine and surgery, after a study period of five and a half years. The faculty was now capable of granting a doctorate in medicine. In 1927, it was decided that a new hospital consisting of 1200 beds and a modern medical school should be established. King Fouad laid the foundation of the new faculty and its hospital on December 16, 1928. The advancement and expansion continued throughout the following years by establishing different units that were both scientifically distinguished and technically equipped with the latest modern instruments and devices.
At the present time
At the present time, the Faculty of Medicine includes 37 departments, 42 specialized units, 2773 faculty members, 9423 undergraduate students, and 3732 post graduate students. The faculty awards a Bachelor degree of Science in Medicine and Surgery, 37 master degrees, diplomas and doctorate degrees in the different specialties of medicine.
The Cairo University hospitals
The Cairo University hospitals affiliated to The Faculty of Medicine comprise more than 5200 beds representing the largest medical institution in the Middle East and probably one of the largest centres in the world. Kasr El-Aini is considered a symbol of the medical profession in Egypt, a stronghold of science and culture, and a towering image of human mercy. Hence, the founding date of Kasr El-Aini on March 11, 1827 was appointed as the day of the annual festival for the Egyptian medical profession.
This article is based on an article from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.
In the Wikipedia there is a list with all authors of this article available.