From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Andhra Medical College
is one of the premier medical colleges in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India. AMC Motto
: Ne Quid Nimis
which means 'Let there be nothing in Excess
The recorded onset of medical education in Visakhapatnam can be traced back to the last millennium in the year 1902, when the Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medical School was set up in the Old Post Office area supported by Maharaja Goday Narayana Gajapati Rao and Maharani Lady Goday Chittijanakiammah. Some years later, the Medical School was presumably shifted to the site of the present Anatomy Block. There were 50 students in the first batch who were trained for the Licentiate Certificate Standard A. The school building was then commissioned as Medical College, Vizagapatnam and started operations on 1st July, 1923, with a strength of 32 students. The college was opened informally on 7th July, 1923, by Captain Frederick Jasper Anderson, IMS, officiating as Principal who was also the Professor of Anatomy and Surgery. The Medical College was formally opened on 19th July, 1923, by the Honorable Diwan Bahadur Rajah Panuganti Ramarayaingar, MA, Minister for Local Self Government Department, the then Chief Minister of Madras State and minister for health.
Andhra Medical College comprises all the important departments such as Basic Sciences, Para clinical Departments and Clinical Departments including all major super specialties with experienced faculty. There are more than 34 Departments, including Anaesthesiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dental Surgery, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Forensic Medicine, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Medicine, Microbiology, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Nuclear Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Paediatric Surgery, Paediatrics, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry, Radiology, Radiotherapy, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Social and Preventive Medicine, Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases and Urology.
Library Andhra Medical College Central library
was established in 1930. By 1987, the library had a collection of 32,000 books and 107 journals. Recently a new independent library building complex was constructed in front of Panagal building (Main building/ Office)and near to the House surgeons & Post graduates men's hostel building.
Andhra Medical College is attached with many Government Teaching Hospitals in Visakhapatnam. The students attend their classes in the various departments of the teaching hospitals as per their educational requirements. These Teaching Hospitals attached with the Andhra Medical College:
King George Hospital was inaugurated by Hon’ble Rajah of Panagal, Chief Minister of Madras on 19th July, 1923. It had 192 beds and by 1931-32 increased to 270 beds. These included Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Maternity, Venerology and Infectious Diseases. There were also the Out Patient Department, X-ray Department, Kitchen, Operation Theatre and Lecture Hall. The Gynaecology and Maternity block with 40 beds was constructed in 1928. Construction works of the Ophthalmic Block with 80 beds was completed in 1932. The Out Patient (OP) block and Casualty was constructed in 1940. A Children’s ward with 36 beds was constructed nearby in 1943 and later merged with the Gynaec block. A new administrative block and the twin Operation Theatres and special ward was constructed in 1951. The need for expansion of the hospital gave rise to construction of the Bhavanagar Ward, which was later inaugurated by Shri Krishna Kumar Sinhji of Bhavanagar, then Governor of Madras in December, 1949. The 'Rajendra Prasad Ward' was inaugurated by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, then President of India in August, 1955 and the 'Amrit Kaur Pediatric Block' was inaugurated by Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, then Union Minister of Health in January, 1956. The new Cardiology Block with Intensive Cardiac Care Unit (ICCU) was inaugurated in June, 1986 and subsequently, the first and second floors with the Open Heart Surgery Unit. The 24-hour Clinical laboratory block was renovated in 1992. The Nuclear Medicine block, the first-of- its-kind in the State Government was opened on 8th October, 1993. The new 'STD Out Patient block' was inaugurated in November, 2000.
Government Victoria Hospital was originally a private hospital named after Queen Victoria. It was donated by the late Maharajah Sri G.N. Gajapathi Rao, KCIE in 1894. In 1949, the Government of Madras took over its administration. The Hospital has three units with 147 beds and has recently been renovated with new blocks.
Government Hospital For Mental Care an exclusive hospital for mental care was constructed in 1871 to accommodate 94 patients. Later the capacity grew to about 300 patients.
Rani Chandramani Devi Hospital was started in 1965 as per the will of the late Rani of Chemudu, Chandramani Devi who was concerned and moved by the plight of handicapped children in the district. The department was initially operating under private management as a 30-bedded hospital. It was later taken over by the Government of Andhra Pradesh in 1967. The bed strength was increased to 70 in 1976. A well equipped Operation Theatre was opened in 1977.
Government Hospital for Chest and Communicable Diseases was started in 1961 at Seetammadhara about 3 km from the Andhra Medical College. The department of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases has 240 beds in 4 wards, the Respiratory Intensive Care Unit (RICU) and Emergency Ward, Mahatma Gandhi Ward for non-tuberculosis lung diseases. The Department of Communicable Diseases is situated opposite the TB Hospital. It has 48 beds in 4 wards. Now this Hospital has been shifted to a spacious place in Waltair opposite the Hospital for Mental Care
Regional Eye Hospital The 75-bedded Ophthalmology department was shifted from King George Hospital to its present site in Seethammadhara near the TB Hospital in 1981. The present new building was completed in 1988. The new 'Regional Eye Hospital' has been fully-functional since 1990. The bed strength has been increased to 200 with two main Operation Theatres.
The ENT Hospital has been shifted to a new building in Waltair near the Hospital for Mental care from King George Hospital
Presently Work is going in Constructing Super Specialty Blocks within King George Hospital .
The Andhra Medical College provides separate Hostels for men and women. 'AMC Women
s Hostel''' was built in 1942. The hostel has a capacity of accommodating 175 students and has a play ground, reading rooms, recreational centre and library. 'AMC Men
s Hostel''' is located an area of 18 acres. It was built during the year 1952 with a total of 262 rooms. The hostel has a dining hall, reading room, TV room and recreational centre for indoor games and a mess. Each hostel has a resident warden with independent quarter, who holds immediate authority over the hostel members and is responsible for their overall discipline. A mess with vegetarian and non-vegetarian meal options is also attached to each of these hostels.Hostel for House-surgeons and Postgraduates
was built in 1965.
The Alma Mater of the Andhra Medical College is vast, prestigious and ever-growing. The old students of the Andhra Medical College automatically become members of the Alma Mater of the AMC.
Eminent Personalities Lt Col. F.J. Anderson, Principal, Professor of Anatomy and Surgery.
Dr. Hilda Mary Lazarus, Principal of AMC and Superintendent of KGH.
[Hilda Mary Lazarus-Eminent Vizagites of Past]
Dr. M.G. Kini, Professor of Orthopedics.
Dr. B. V. Satyanarayana (1927-2005), Professor of Dermatology. [Dr.B.V. Satyanarayana-Obituary in Indian Journal of Dermatology and Venereology]
Dr. V. Ramalingaswami (1921-2001), Eminent Nutrional Scientist. [Biographic summary of Dr.V.Ramalingaswami]
Dr. P. Brahmayya Sastry, Professor of Physiology.
Dr. C. Vyaghreswarudu, Professor of Orthopaedics. [The Hindu article on Dr.C.Vyaghreswarudu]
Dr. Kakarla Subba Rao, Professor Radiology and Director of NIMS.
Dr. L. Suryanarayana, Professor of Surgery, Principal of AMC and Vice-Chancellor, NTR Health University.
Dr. C.M. Habibullah, Professor of Gastroenterology and Director of Medical Education.
Dr. S. Balaparameswara Rao, Professor of Neurosurgery.
Dr. P. Siva Reddy (1920-2005), Professor of Ophthalmology and Director of Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital.
Dr. C.R.R.M. Reddy, Professor of Pathology and Director of Medical Education.
Dr. C. Sita Devi, Professor of Biochemistry and Principal of AMC.
Dr. P.V. Ramana Rao (1917-2005), Professor of Microbiology and Director of Institute of Preventive Medicine.
This article is based on an article from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.
In the Wikipedia there is a list with all authors of this article available.